Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Toddler Dress Sizing...my best guess

I  have had a few comments asking me what the measurements would be for different sized toddler clothing.  While the overall answer is, I don't know, I have searched and found some info for you. 

My daughter just turned two, but she is at the 90th percentile for height and 40th for weight.  Keep that in mind when I give you the adjusted numbers here.  I make everything to fit her (not by a set size).  From clothing measurements by several companies, it appears that 2" is added to the length for every year.  So, if a 2T is 21.5" long, then a 4T would be 25.5" long.  I would also add 2" to the sleeve length.  It also appears that you want to add about 3/4" for every year for the chest measurement (i.e width of the dress).

Here is what I have come up with for a 4T:

For the 4T, I would also make the armpit cut another 1/2 deep, so 6.5" instead of 6".  I have added 1" additional fabric for the circumference of the arm.  This might be a little excessive, but you can always cut it out if you need to. 

For the reader who asked about 18 months sizing, you can just cut all of the adjustments listed above in half.  Although, if it were me, I would just follow the 2T measurements because this dress is VERY forgiving size wise and the 2nd birthday will be here before you know it!

Please let me know how this works out.  You can post any adjustments in the comments which would surely be helpful to other readers.  Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for helping resize the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the 6 inches for the 4t size is way too small. Im making the dress now and my 4 year old cant even fit her arm in the sewn up sleeve. I think 8 or even 9 inches would be best. She is skinny too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested for the 2T and the 4T the depth on the armhole
    the lengths are 6 and 6.5 in but what did your width for the armhole end up being? The example given on the original tutorial says draw a line 6 inches long and form a J It does not look to me that it curves in much so my armhole width is only about 2 inches? Should it be 3 inches? I am asking because it pulls a little at the armhole so wonder if that is the reason

    ReplyDelete
  4. The armholes are not very wide, maybe 1 1/2 inches at the widest point (at least when I do it). There could be several reasons that the arm is too small...perhaps you want to cut it deeper (7" or 7.5" for the 4T) or perhaps the elastic is a little too tight. I don't think cutting it wider will necessarily help, although I haven't tried it. Good luck and thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is the measurements for the elastic for the 4t?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial. I just made one of these for my 3T sized daughter. I used 6" for the top width and about 12" for the bottom. She wanted a dress that would flare when she twirled so I made it as wide as I had fabric for. It worked out great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about 6 months measurements?

    ReplyDelete