Summer Squash and Chicken Lasagna
For the sauce:
3 - 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes with the liquid
1 - 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 c. onion, finely diced
1 T. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 T. italian seasoning
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
10 whole wheat lasagna noodles (the kind that you have to boil)
2 small yellow squash, thinly sliced
~5 oz. fresh spinach
1 lb. grilled chicken, shredded
8 oz. whole milk ricotta
16 oz. part skim ricotta
1 lb. mozzarella, shredded (shred your own, the pre-shredded kind has a substance in there to prevent caking that affects texture).
- Start the sauce. Saute the onion in the olive oil until translucent. Add garlic, cook just until fragrant. Add tomatoes and their liquid, tomato paste, and spices. Let simmer at least 30 minutes.
- Roast squash. Spray the bottom of a cookie sheet with cooking spray or olive oil. Place squash in a single layer. Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until cooked and a few brown patches (not burned, just a little bit brown).
- Boil noodles until al dente.
- In the bottom of a 9x13 pan, spread just a little bit of sauce. Place 3 noodles lengthwise. Layer on top half of your two ricotta cheeses, a third of the mozzarella, the squash, half of the spinach, and a third of the remaining sauce. Place three more noodles down. Layer the remaining ricotta, another third of the mozzarella, the chicken, the remaining spinach, and another third of the sauce. Place 4 noodles on top. Spread over the remaining sauce and sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until hot and bubbly.