Monday, September 13, 2010

Dahlias!

As much grief as I give my husband about landscaping, he actually is a wealth of information.  And here is proof.  I plant dahlias every year - I love them.  This year, I planted them in a different spot and used some different soil.  The blooms were very drab, almost grayish looking.  So, after mentioning this to Jeremy, he did a little research and gave the plants an acidic fertilizer.  Twice.  Well, take a look at these gorgeous flowers!

What you can't tell from the picture is that this one flower is the size of a dinner plate.  It is humongous!  And look at that gorgeous color.  It's hard to believe it's the same plant.

I'm definitely going to be sad after the first frost.

2 comments:

  1. My FIL grows rows and rows of dahlia's every year,so if you need any more info I can always help tap his knowledge for you. This flower is beautiful and my FIL would be very jealous. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely beautiful. I know a big flower garden is on my list of things to have next spring!

    ReplyDelete