Sunday, September 12, 2010

Easy Baby Bib Tutorial

If you need a quick baby gift, these bibs are fantastic. They take very little supplies, very little time, and very little know-how.















You can make at least three bibs out of two fat quarters. I used two different fabrics for these above.

For these bibs, you will need: 
  • Fabric 
  • Bias tape in corresponding color 
  • Matching thread 
  • Pins

 First step, is to make a template for your bibs. I just traced one of my daughters baby bibs to make these. 

Second step is to cut out your fabric. You will need two pieces per bib. Since you want both sides to be exactly the same, I ironed the fabric, stacked it and then cut it all together. 

Now place your two fabric pieces wrong sides together and match them up perfectly.














Pin your bias tape all the way around the bib. I started at the back of one of the tabs so it won't show when the bib is worn. I always leave a little extra bias tape at the end since it does tend to shift a little as you sew. Do not sew the two ends together at the beginning otherwise you are likely to have some puckering.


















If you buy your bias tape (instead of making it) you'll notice that one side is shorter than the other. be sure to sew on the side that is shorter to be sure to catch the other side. Sew all the way around the bib. When you get to the end, trim your the excess bias tape and sew down.

Now to close the bibs, you can either use velcro or snaps...I always use snaps because my daughter ALWAYS pulled off her bibs. They may make some of you nervous, so use whatever you like. I just buy the snaps that you hammer on. A cinch! 

That's it! You're done!
















Here is a gift that I recently gave to a friend with a new baby. Check out this great seahorse how-to on Liaspace. Isn't this fantastic? 

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment