Sunday, February 13, 2011

Meal Plan for 2/13 - 2/19 and Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe

It's Valentine's Day tomorrow...and in years past I have been a total cynic calling it a "Hallmark Holiday" and never celebrating it with my husband.  But now that we have Little Bean on board, I feel compelled to celebrate every holiday possible and show her all of the little joys that I remember as a child.  So, we handmade our Valentine's last week, went to a kiddo V-Day party and sent off Valentine's to all of the family members.  She loved this part, so she'll probably really love the treats and presents I have in store for tomorrow. (FYI:  Still haven't figured anything out for her Daddy besides one of his favorite meals...any ideas???)

So, here is the plan for the week:

Meal #1:  Cashew Chicken and Green Beans

Meal #2 (Valentine's Day):  Jerk Chicken and Corn Fritter Casserole (I use chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken)

Dessert (still undecided):  Oreo Dirt (for Little Bean) or Peanut, Caramel, and Chocolate Tart (for Daddy Bean)

Meal #3:  Black Bean Burgers with Mango Salsa and Sweet Potato Fries

Meal #4:  Red Lentil Soup with Grilled Cheese (sorry, link no longer exists)

Meal #5:  Eggplant Parmigiana with Tossed Salad

And a few weeks ago I posted that I was making Sweet Potato Souffle on my menu plan and the recipe was requested.  So here you go Audrey:



My mother has been making this at the holidays for years.  It has been adapted, but I don't know the original source.

Sweet Potato Souffle

For the Souffle:
4 large yams (yes yams, not sweet potatoes...despite the name)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. milk
2 eggs (I think traditionally you are supposed to separate the eggs and whip up the whites to stiff peaks and fold it in to the rest of the batter, but I don't bother and it's great)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 stick butter (softened)

For the topping:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/2 stick butter (chilled and cut into pieces)
1 c. pecans
zest of one orange
Note:  If you are using a deeper casserole dish with a smaller surface area (such as the one pictured above), you will want to cut the topping in half - otherwise it is too much.

  • Peel and cook potatoes until very tender.  Add them to a stand mixer.  Using the whip attachment, whip potatoes until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients and whip until well incorporated.  Place in desired dish.
  • For the topping, I recommend using your hands, but you can also use a pastry cutter to work the butter into the dry ingredients.  You should mix until there are a few small pieces of butter left but it is mostly incorporated.  It will be very crumbly.  Sprinkle on top of the yam mixture.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment