Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Salt and Pepper Shaker Cozy Tutorial

Never in my life did I think that I would sew a cozy for a salt and/or pepper shaker.  But, alas, here I am.  Here is my defense.  I can't seem to leave any sort of salt and pepper shakers within reach of Little Bean otherwise her food ends up inedible.  So, I decided I needed to get the grinders - well, at Williams Sonoma, they are like $50 each.  So, Bean and I were perusing the aisles of Costco and came upon large plastic versions for sea salt and pepper.  But, the ugly Kirkland labels were not something that I wanted to leave out on my table or on my counter.  Justified?  I think so.


Here are the grinders before (minus the labels - I needed quite a bit of Goo Gone to get those puppies off):


First you'll want to pick out your font for your letters.  I used Stencil Std in MS Word.  Based on exactly how big you want your letters, set the font at around 100.  This took a little bit of printer ink to get just right.

 Fabric you'll need:
  • four strips of fabric 8 1/4" x 3"
  • two small pieces of scrap fabric for your letters
  • two small pieces of double sided interfacing
  • ~5 inches of 1/4" elastic
 Iron on the interfacing to your letter fabric.


Carefully cut out your letters.


 Using scotch tape to adhere the letters to the interfacing, attach them upside down, as pictured.


Carefully cut out your letters in fabric.  Remove second piece of paper from interfacing and iron down to fabric strip.  I didn't get a photo of it, but I stitched around the edge of the letters just for extra security.


Place fabric strips right sides together and stitch all the way around leaving an opening to turn it right side out.



Once you have it turned, press it, being sure to press the open edge as you would like it to be sewn closed.
 

Now cut a piece of elastic, approximately 2 1/2".  Fold it in half and insert the ends into the opening to form a loop.  Pin down.  Top stitch all the way around being careful to sew the opening closed.


On the opposite end from the loop, hand sew a button down so it will be even with the loop.


Now you too can say that you have made a salt and pepper cozy.  Ha ha.  But seriously, Costco, under $10, super cute.





No comments:

Post a Comment