Sunday, June 12, 2011

Gardening Update and Pictures

I just got back from a mini vacation (sort of).  And I was finally able to get some pics of my new garden area.  My husband and I put in two new retaining walls and built three raised beds this spring.  The drippers are in and the seeds are sprouting.  I am a virgin gardener, so I am beyond excited.

There are no before pictures included here.  But, picture a bunch of dirt and weeds.  There you go, that's what we had before this.  We are on 10 acres, therefore there are no restrictions on our landscaping (or lack thereof).  Therefore, we have taken our sweet time with everything.



Here is a list of the different things that I planted:
  • Beets
  • Carrots
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Green Peppers
  • Snap Peas
  • Green Onions
  • Tomatoes (4 varieties)
  • Potatoes - in ground (Blue and Yukon Gold)
  • Zucchini - in ground
  • Eggplant - in ground
  • Herbs (in pots - not pictured) - dill, chives, rosemary, basil, and thyme




This is a before picture of my next project.  I am going to be building a fire pit in the lower area here.  The tricky part:  our septic tank is below this area, so the covering has to be somewhat easy to remove since it needs to be pumped every three years.  I have some ideas that I am looking into for that.


And yes, off to the left, that is one very dead tree.  The gophers are responsible for that.  Not happy since that was a very expensive tree.  Grrrr....

And below is a picture of our psychotic hummingbird.  He perches at the top of said dead tree where he has an excellent view of our hummingbird feeder.  Anytime another hummingbird thinks of taking a sip, he swoops down and threatens them and they inevitably fly away.


Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment